Galloway Hills Rally – 30th October 2011

This was the team’s first competitive outing on gravel for about a year.  The rally started in Castle Douglas as with stage 1 in Glengap near Laurieston.  It took a mile or 2 to get into the swing of things again but it was a really clean through the stage with no real problems.

A clip of us near the end of stage 1

Stage 2 was going fine but after five or six miles the rainy weather caused the windscreen to mist up which made it tricky for driver and co-driver alike to judge the corners correctly. A bit of time was lost but everything was still going well.

Stage 3 in Dalbeattie forest was going very well with a very clean quick run but about a mile from the end the car lost power. It came back once or twice but we ended up coasting to the finish which fortunately was downhill.  The car dies completely on the stop line and we had to push it out of the way once we got our time. It then restarted and we headed back towards Castle Douglas and the service team to see if they could diagnose the problem.

Unfortunately about a mile along the road section the car dies again and this time it wouldn’t restart. We phoned Sam to come and get us but even he couldn’t get it running once he arrived.

Sadly we had to tow it back to Castle Douglas and put it on the trailer.

Once back at the workshop the problem was traced to a broken rotor arm in the distributor.